King Penguin and Tierra del Fuego Tour
, Living Tourism
, Hike, trekking
, Adventure Tourism
Explore the beautiful Patagonia, travel by ferry and get to know the King Penguin Colony, also discovering Tierra del Fuego; Origin of Selknam culture.
After crossing the Strait of Magellan and visiting Porvenir, we will travel 114 km to the east, where the Park of the Royal Penguins is located, a unique sighting place where we can observe a group of approximately 40 specimens of this species at a short distance.
After 1 hour in the place we will continue our trip observing the helmet of the Josefina Estancia. We will also visit the town of Cerro Sombrero.
Finally we will cross the Strait of Magellan again.
Departure time: 07:00. Return time: 19:00.
- Wear comfortable, warm clothes and trekking shoes or boots.
- Please bring a jacket or sweater, scarf, cap, sunglasses and water.
- The name, number, expiration date and country of the passport are required at the time of reservation for all participants.
- The tour is subject to weather conditions.
- This tour does not work on December 25 or January 1.
- There is an entrance fee that you must pay directly at the destination, which costs CLP 12,000 as admission to King Penguin Park.
- There will be time for a traditional Chilean lunch (meals not included).
- Hotels within the urban radius of Punta Arenas.
ITINERARY: King Penguin and Tierra del Fuego Tour
- The day begins by picking up approximately 07:00 from your hotel in Punta Arenas and then, we will go to the Tres Puentes terminal to take the ferry that in 2 hours of navigation crosses the Strait of Magellan to the Island of Tierra del Fuego .
- The landing takes place in the Bay of Chilota and from there it is a journey of 5 kilometers to reach the city of Porvenir; to see the main square of its Selknam Plaza de Armas.
- Later we will visit its small but very interesting museum, where we can find a view of the city.
- Later, we continue the trip to King Penguin Park, 114 km from the city. This trip takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes and a large part of it is bordering Useless Bay.
- The Park is a unique sighting place where, following the path, we can observe a group of approximately 30 to 40 specimens of this species at a distance of between 15 and 20 meters approximately.
- After 1 hour in the place, we will continue our trip observing from the route the helmet of the Josefina Estancia, one of the most important of the island.
- We will also visit the oil town of Cerro Sombrero.
- Finally, we will cross the Strait of Magellan again, this time for its narrowest part (First Angostura, only 20 minutes of navigation).
- Depending on the date of the trip, schedules and daylight hours, we can stop at the abandoned Estancia San Gregorio, one of the first and most historic in the region, and then return to Punta Arenas.
- Transfer from / to the Hotel Punta Arenas,
- English / Spanish tour guide,
- Ferry tickets,
- Entrance to the Porvenir museum (based on the cultures of Tierra del Fuego).
- Transfers from the airport,
- Optional tips,
- Entrance fee to King Penguin National Park (12,000 CLP)
When should I book?
To guarantee availability book as soon as possible. Early booking is worth consideration especially if you planning the trip during high season like public holidays or weekends.
This excursion you can cancel with no cost up to 120 hours before the start of the trip. If you cancel it after 120 hours or not show up on the excursion you will still be charged the full price of the activity. Being late on pick-up or departure will be considered as not showing up.