Half Day Tour by Orongo and Rano Kau
, Living Tourism
, Hike, trekking
, Adventure Tourism
Discover the archaeological wonders on the southwest coast of Easter Island on this half-day tour, which includes the ceremonial center of Vinapu, the cave paintings of Ana Kai Tangata and the stone masonry houses of the village of Orongo.
Watch the waves breaking against the cliffs while imagining the history of the place and admire the crater lake near the dormant Rano Kau volcano. As you explore, learn about the Rapa Nui culture and the legends surrounding the mysterious men of the birds. Y
Departure time: 09:30. Return time: 12:30.
Excursions can be modified by weather conditions. We recommend wearing comfortable clothes. Passengers traveling to Easter Island must pay an entry fee of CLP 54,000 or USD 80.00 to visit the Archaeological Park. The ticket must be purchased upon arrival at the Conaf office inside Mataveri airport and is valid for the entire stay. Please note that it is not possible to buy this ticket anywhere else and passengers will have to take it with them when they take our tours. This tour is not available for passengers coming on cruises.
Hotels within the urban radius of Hanga Roa, Rapa Nui.
ITINERARY: Tour by Orongo and Rano Kau
- After being picked up at the hotel in Hanga Roa, you will be taken to the ceremonial complex of Ahu Vinapu.
- The ceremonial center of Vinapú includes one of the largest ahu of Rapa Nui; This ceremonial center has an extraordinary platform, which stands out for having an architectural structure composed of large carefully interlocking slabs, similar to the Inca constructions of Cusco.
- Then, return to board the minivan and travel south to Ana Kai Tangata, a cave along the coast; The only cave on the island that contains ancient images, many believe that this place served as a starting point for the annual Tangata Manu ritual practiced until about 1800.
- While listening to the rhythmic shock of the waves against the cliffs and listening to ancient legends, imagine the selected men of each tribe who jump from the cave and swim to the islet of Motu Nui to collect the first egg laid by a soot tern. Many drowned or were killed by sharks. The first man who returned with the egg was rewarded with wealth by his tribe during the rest of the year.
- Exit the cave and observe the Rano Kau volcano and its crater lake. Capture this spectacular landscape from three different points of view before your guide takes you to the town of Orongo at the southern tip of the island. Orongo contains 54 oval-shaped restored houses built with slate slabs, each with a small square entrance overlooking the ocean.
- Observe the abundance of petroglyphs of bird men, and learn about the use of the site as a ceremonial center for the rites of bird men between 1600 and 1866. After the introduction of your guide to the history and legend of the people, dedicate a little more One hour to explore the site on your own before transportation.
- Return to your hotel.
- Roundtrip transportation from Easter Island hotels,
- Transport insurance,
- Bilingual guide.
- Entrance fee to the Rapa Nui National Park,
- Transfers to and from the pier,
- Optional tips
When should I book?
To guarantee availability book as soon as possible. Early booking is worth consideration especially if you planning the trip during high season like public holidays or weekends.
This excursion you can cancel with no cost up to 120 hours before the start of the trip. If you cancel it after 120 hours or not show up on the excursion you will still be charged the full price of the activity. Being late on pick-up or departure will be considered as not showing up.